Locations of 

visitors to this page






Main Page
12/10/2007
Southern Snow
Here in the land of Dixie, we don't see much snow. At least not in our corner of Southeast Virginia. We live right on the coast, so the weather is just too mild for the white stuff, although we did get a couple sprinklings of night time snow last year. It's usually gone by 9 or 10 am.

Unfortunately, the kids have started to notice that they're missing out on some Winter fun here in Virginia. Last week in the car, Hollis decided to interrogate me about that white stuff he sees all over the Christmas specials on TV.

Hollis: "Mommy, you know my movie Toy Story? Not the one with the horse, the other one with Buzz?" (Never mind that Buzz is in both of them.) "Woody and Buzz got snow, right?"

Me: "Yes, sweetie, it does snow at the end of the movie. It's Christmas."

Hollis: "When Santa comes?"

Me: "Yes, sweetie."

Hollis: "In his sleighdd?"

He's not quite clear on exactly what a "sleigh" is yet. Right now it's all mixed up with sled. Understandable, I think.

Me: "Ummm hmmm."

Trying to figure out where this is going....

Hollis: "Where's our snow?"

Me: "Well, it's usually too warm to snow here, sweetie, but it might snow this year. We usually get a few sprinklings of snow every year."

Hollis: "Sprinkledings?"

Ooh, too complicated. Simplify, Steph, simplify.

Me: "Yes, sweets, we just get a little bit of snow that melts right away. But if it snows this year, I promise you can go out and play in it."

And then I immediately started praying to God that I wouldn't have to get up at 4am to let him play in some snow before it melts.

Hollis: "Santa lands in the snow. Right?"

Ooh, crap. Now I see where this is going.

Me: "Yes, babe, but he can also land just about anywhere."

Hollis: "Can he land in sand?"

Me: "Of course he can, sweetie."

Hollis: "OK."

I guess Hollis will have a white Christmas no matter what.

Southern Snow:




This is my first try at Painted Maypole's Monday Mission. This week the task was to get creative with photo shop. All of these photos were edited with Photo Shop and I added a "glow" to the photos. If you want to know how, just let me know.

Labels: , , ,



15 Comments:

Blogger flutter said...

oh man, so so cute

Blogger painted maypole said...

cute, indeed. And thanks for playing along.

We get the same kind of "snow" here. ;)

Blogger Amie Adams said...

I never did mind my white Christmas a little grainy.

Blogger DD said...

Not to rub it in...but we have about five inches of snow on the ground and they say it will remain until Christmas. The bad news with that is the snow will be very dirty by then.

You'll have to start a tradition of heading up the some snowy ground for a weekend of sledding. How awesome would that be?!

Blogger Julie Pippert said...

That last photo is very cool.

At 7 a.m. it was already over 60 here. Of course it never snows here; it'd have to get below 60 for that, a lot below 60. As if.

Effing endless heat.

I did my usual jog to school (keep up with Patience on bike) and from school (keep up with athletic neighbor on bike) in shorts and a tee shirt and was red-faced and dripping by the time I got home.

I'd like some snow, but I'd take ANYTHING under 60 about now.

Please God.

Let me wear one of my neat new long sleeved shirts.

Just once?

Julie
Using My Words

Blogger Emily said...

I can understand why the kid was so worried.

Blogger Kevin Charnas said...

Quick thinkin', Mom...

I always felt bad for the kids that didn't have fireplaces. I'm sure that their parents improvised with stories, but I still felt bad.

Blogger OhTheJoys said...

I want to know how to glow!!

Blogger Debbie said...

that simplifying business is tricky, ain't it? I am constantly censoring myself in order to be clear and easy to follow in my explanations to J about how things work.

and those photos are gorge. gorge.

xo

Blogger Redneck Mommy said...

I have snow. Send him my way. I'll teach him to shovel. And what the true meaning of a snotsicle really is...

Blogger Amy W said...

Love the effect on the pics.

My oldest wants snow too.

Blogger Jen said...

I love those pictures, but I have to admit at the first one I thought, "crap. My contacts are giong out on me. Again."

I like the southern snow! We wore tshirts at the park one Christmas Eve in Georgia. It's all good wherever we are.

Santa gets around.

Blogger Sarcasta-Mom said...

I'll send him a box of snow from our way. I would love to get rid of some :)

Blogger ExPatSW said...

Guess y'all will just have to drive over to Charlottesville for some white stuff!

And, Kevin, I remember the first house I lived that had a fireplace. My Christmas present to myself that year: I called all of my family and friends who were invited over for Christmas and told them to dress warmly. I set the AC on 50 and started a lovely, warm fire in our fireplace! Ranks as one of my all-time favourite Christmas memories!

Blogger Christine said...

i love that last picture--beautiful.

and i know how he feels--growing up in california then living in virginia i felt very deprived. no i'm in upstate new york and i am learning that i actually HATE snow.

sigh.

Post a Comment

<< Home

Lawyer Mama
Made by Andrea Micheloni
footer