Locations of 

visitors to this page






Main Page
7/14/2007
7 ft tall, white teeth and a French accent
Hi there.

I'm Julie, and I normally post over at the Ravin' Picture Maven, but today LawyerMama graciously allowed me into her blog to impersonate her.

Initially I felt a little challenged to the task. After all, there are all the ways in which I am so different

* I am seven feet tall, with white teeth, and a French accent.

Okay so I'm not really So You Think You Can Dance's Cat Deeley. (Who isn't even French, actually, or seven feet tall, but she does have really white teeth!) (And if this makes no sense to you, you aren't watching the right television. You should get on that.) (I don't have an accent either, no, really, I don't.)

* Although I like to play one in my mind---especially when it comes to crimes that really intrigue me, such as the Mysterious Incident of the Vice-President Shooting the Quail Hunting Partner in the Daytime---I am not actually a lawyer.

* On any given Monday through Friday, come 11 a.m. you might find me still in my jammies, hair messily pulled back into a ponytail, and I plead the 5th wrt hygiene.

What can I say, the Kids Are Home For The Whole Freaking Summer Which---Thanks to Legislators Who Clearly Do Not Have Small Children For Whom They Are Responsible---Is Almost Four Months Long. (I hope you are freaking happy, Disney, because I am losing my ever loving mind and so are my kids.)

* I do not have ahh-inducing adorable photos of my children at the beach. My children eschew the camera, and I eschew the great outdoors. We're all pigment challenged here, excluding my husband who is happily nut brown. What can I say.

* My children, are, however, the next Pollocks (thanks Momish for that title!). I do have photographic evidence of this assertion:

But luckily this is a blog and the weekend so you don't expect me to dress as if at tea with the Queen, be lawyer-ly or any kind of -ly, and my teeth aren't so white as to cause seizures (anyway I'm not vlogging).

And since this is not a dry blog, I thought I'd step up and offer my thoughts as to the relative merits of different recipes for sangria. I've been doing a lot of field testing of recipes, and here's what I found:

Sangria
* I have two recipes I prefer, one that I call Tropical Sangria, which is more Spanish, and one that I call Country Sangria, which is more Tex-Mex (sweeter, fruitier)

* For Tropical Sangria, Rioja is the best base...I don't add any rum, but most recipes call for it.

* For Country Sangria, sweet fruit, rum and brandy are essential. You can make it white or red.

* I prefer white rum.

* Citrus fruit is essential.

* Apples are not good. In fact, skip any porous spongy fruit like this. I have found---as one recipe stated, that fruit such as apples and pears absorb all the rum. We can't have that.

* I don't add sugar to either one usually, but if I do add sugar, it is only to Country Sangria.

* By not adding in sugar or orange juice, it's not so sweet that you chug it like Kool-Aid and wake up the next day with Sangria Regret and take my name in vain.

So here are the recipes:

Note: I do not measure when I cook. I am a dasher and pincher. Somehow, I just know. However, I have worked hard to try to quantify the amount I use. Don't work too hard following this too exactly. I say follow your taste.

Tropical Sangria

INGREDIENTS
* 1 lemon
* 1 1/2 limes
* 2 oranges (I prefer an additional orange rather than adding in orange juice)
* 1 1/2 cups rum (Or thereabouts. You know, 2 cups of rum never hurt anyone.)
* 1 (750 milliliter) bottle dry red wine (Rioja is best, but don't bother with an Alta since you are doctoring it.)

OPTIONAL INGREDIENTS
* 1/2 cup white sugar (Or substitute. If you do substitute, make sure to adjust amounts.)
* 1 cup orange juice

DIRECTIONS
1. Have the fruit, rum, and wine well chilled. Slice the lemon, lime and orange into thin rounds and place in a large glass pitcher. Pour in the rum. Chill in refrigerator for 2 hours to develop the flavors.

2. When ready to serve, crush the fruit lightly with a wooden spoon and stir in the wine.

3. Taste. If you need to, add in a bit of sugar (or substitute). Adjust sweetness to taste.

4. I find the flavor is best with at least 4 hours marination. Next day it's even better, and the fruit...don't waste the fruit. ;)

Country Sangria

INGREDIENTS
* 1 pint strawberries (or half bag large frozen)
* 1 pint blueberries (or half bag frozen)
* 1 orange
* Additional fruit such as peach or apricot, or any other berries (black, raspberry, etc.)
* 1 cup rum (or so, don't go getting too measuring cup on me, that spoils the mixing fun)
* 1/2 cup fruit flavored brandy (match to fruit, e.g., peach or apricot)
* 1 (750 milliliter) bottle dry red wine (merlot is even fine) or white wine (white sangria is really fun, give it a try)

OPTIONAL INGREDIENT
* 1/2 cup white sugar (or substitute)

DIRECTIONS
1. Have the fruit, rum, brandy, and wine well chilled. Slice the orange into thin rounds. Slice the peach or apricot into approximately 1 inch chunks. Place in a large glass pitcher. Add in all berries. Pour in the rum and brandy. Chill in refrigerator for 2 hours to develop the flavors.

2. When ready to serve, crush the fruit lightly with a wooden spoon and stir in the wine.

3. Taste. If you need to, add in a bit of sugar (or substitute). Adjust sweetness to taste.

4. This one is best chilled overnight. And remember...don't waste the fruit!

Enjoy!

And thanks to LawyerMama for letting me use her space.

Julie

P.S. Leave lots of comments, you know, so she doesn't rue the day she asked me to step in for her. ;)

Labels:



13 Comments:

Blogger Syd said...

ooooh Sangria! FABULOUS idea! Thank you.

Blogger Christine said...

damn, now i'm thirsty.

i got the cat deely joke!!!

Blogger flutter said...

YOu are too funny Julie. The Sangria sounds phenomenal

Blogger S said...

I'd say you did LM proud, Julie.

Blogger Violet said...

great post, that pic is priceless!
mmmm, sangia!

Blogger painted maypole said...

I made my own sangria just last night, but it wasn't nearly as tasty as yours sounds.

Blogger Gunfighter said...

Cool recipes... here is one for the Sangria-challenged:

Go buy a bottle of pre-made sangria, open it (screw-top, baby) and pour yourself a glass!

Blogger Bon said...

see, now it's 9:20 am and i'm at work craving the sweet juiciness of sangria.

this is hardly appropriate.

i love the Pollocks and their, erm, photoshop panties. i need to get me some o' them. :)

Julie,
Can't wait to try the recipes! I once had a white wine sangria....which believe it or not.....was fantastic!!!!!!!!

Can I just say that I am completely RELIEVED you did a light hearted post, as I am posting here on Wednesday and was TERRIFIED to follow you!

YOU KNOW I only do fluff!

PS: If you think Cat Deely is a little off....what about the judge that talks with her teeth together? She drives me CRAZY!!!!

Blogger Julie Pippert said...

Queen, love, I adore Cat Deeley. ;) LOL

Mary Murphy is...I don't know, sometimes I think she'd be a real hoot to hit happy hour with and sometimes I think, umm hmm maybe not so much. She does usually crack me up. But ever since that comment about Nigel's hair and teeth, I can't quit thinking about it LOL.

I can't even manage deep on my own blog right now I am so overwhelmed with tasks! Plus I figured everyone might like light-hearted about now. Especially if it featured booze. :) Anyway whatever you did would be great!

****

Bon, some days I glance at the clock to see...hmmm, must be 5 p.m. somewhere! LOL Sangria and summer just go well together. But alas, I get distracted by the kids and it's often after dinner before I get a nice cuppa and a sit.

***

Gunfighter, premade sangria bite your tongue! LOL One must do what one must, LOL.

****

Painted Maypole, mine taste DELICIOUS. But like I said, loads of field testing LOL. What recipe did you use?

***

Busy momma, that's my kids all the time, I swear, LOL. If it's not one thing it's another.

***

SM, thanks!

***

Flutter, thanks...hope you try the recipe sometime.

***

Christine, I knew you'd get it! We have got to get this SYTYCD discussion going. Every week I am pissed off!

Queen, you can join in!

***

Syd, anytime. I'm all happy now picturing people sipping sangria on a sunny Saturday (which, of course, wasn't my life, but it's nice to imagine others LOL).

Blogger ewe are here said...

Oh gawd, I love Sangria. Will definitely have to make some if we ever have anybody around this summer.... drat this trying to buy a house and move thing!

I forgot to add the story of how Sangria saved my life!

We were in Disney World and made the HORRIBLE mistake of attempting to drive our car to the "Hoop Dee Doo Review". Why was this such a mistake? Well, the Pioneer Hall where the show is held, the show I paid $200 for tickets to see, is IMPOSSIBLE to find! We drove around for over an hour...each minute bringing me closer to a panic attack as the ticket stated that no one would be seated late, no refunds...etc.

FINALLY, we found it! (Yeah, no one mentioned that we would have to park and take a bus..but I digress)
By the time we got to our table I was on the verge of a breakdown...that was, until the waitress brought me a large glass of Sangria. Two glasses into the show, I was able to relax and enjoy myself...thus saving my vacation and possibly my marriage! :)

Blogger Benjamin Loewen said...

That is one FUNNY photo!!! Everything about it.

Post a Comment

<< Home

Lawyer Mama
Made by Andrea Micheloni
footer