Locations of 

visitors to this page






Main Page
7/08/2007
Love Of My Life
Today is my twelfth wedding anniversary.

When I met T, he was 23. I was 21. It was January 1, 1994, and a college friend had invited me over for her Orange Bowl viewing party. I had nearly met T easily a dozen times before that day. I nearly met him when I was involved in a serious relationship (as serious as all the drama of twenty can be). Again I nearly met T when that serious relationship was ending, of course, in a hail storm of acrimony and hate.

For more than a year T shadowed my footsteps, or I his, and we never realized it. But "exactly at the time when it was quite natural that it should be so, and not a week earlier," we met.*

At the football party, Nebraska was playing Florida State, and while I'm definitely no Seminoles fan, at the time I would have rooted for pretty much any team over the Huskers. So I cheered for FSU in a subdued manner to avoid lynching by the crowd. Florida State won the game and as the evening progressed, that cute guy who kept staring at my chest got drunker and drunker. I somehow ended up taking care of him when we all made the inevitable late night run for pancakes. T made several drunken passes at me.

Somehow I avoided smacking him.

Three days later he finally got over his post-drunken remorse and screwed up the courage to ask our mutual friend for my number. When T called, we talked for three hours.

And when we had our first date, we sat in the car and talked all night long. (Well, in all honestly, we didn't just talk, but T will kill me if I go into details.)

That was it. I knew he was The One.

But I had no idea if T knew that I was His One. And when he finally got around to admitting it a few months later, we both knew that we would marry.

We were incredibly lucky. T was 25 and I was 22 when we wed. We were babies. Who meets their soul mate at 22? How do you recognize a kindred soul when you don't even really know your own soul yet?

I can't answer that question. I can't explain it. If I think about it, our relationship defies logic.

Logic is the lodestone of my life. But logic can't explain why T loves me. It can't tell me why T believes that I'm beautiful and, more importantly, that I'm funny and smart and a good mother. (Boy do I have him snowed!) But I do find it illogical that T loves me. Sarcastic, overly analytical, neurotic, pessimistic me.

You see, T is the best man I know. I chide him for his political beliefs, but I know that T would save the world if he could. In fact he does try to do so in ways I can't talk about here because T is so private. He carries too much responsibility on his shoulders, my Atlas, but I cannot imagine a better man to raise our two boys. He's a far better person than I am. Even more so, because he doesn't realize that he is indeed the better person.

The thing is, I don't believe in fate. I think that life is what you make of it. Off of the top of my head I would probably tell you that I don't believe there is only one person out there for each of us.

But if I really stop to think about it, on this day, our anniversary, maybe it was fate. Maybe I was destined to be here with T and our two boys today. Living our simple, happy lives.

Oh, how I love my T.


But I still hate the Huskers.


* Jane Austen, Mansfield Park

Labels:



37 Comments:

Blogger Sunshine said...

We have a similar "met the soulmate young" type story. Did you read mine....6/19 - we just had our 14th.
You guys are adorable and how much am I crushing on the picture of him and the little guy, that's so awesome.

He's lucky to have you back!!!

Blogger April Brandon said...

happy anniversary!!!!

Blogger Snoskred said...

Congratulations on meeting your soul mate so early on. ;) And Happy Anniversary. ;)

Snoskred
http://snoskred.blogspot.com/

Blogger Chaotic Joy said...

Awww. What a beautiful tribute to your husband. Happy Anniversary

Blogger MARY G said...

What a marvellous picture! Felicitations on your anniversary! And what a beautifully written tribute to your man.

Blogger PT-LawMom said...

What a wonderful post. Happy anniversary!!

Blogger CPA Mom said...

what a lovely tribute to T, but not entirely accurate. He is not the better person and neither are you. You are both the best you can be, with each other. I've never seen a more perfect pair. Much love to you both on this special day.

Blogger S said...

That last photo of him with his boy -- magical. Gorgeous.

As is your essay about him.

(We just celebrated our twelfth as well.)

Happy Anniversary, LM.

Blogger ewe are here said...

What a great post -- and such a relief you didn't smack him for staring that first night!

He sounds like a lovely, lovely man. Maybe it was fate.

Happy Anniversary!

Blogger sam {temptingmama} said...

Congratulations!

Blogger Girlplustwo said...

i love hearing about your love. and what a love it is.

Blogger Heather said...

Happy Anniversary!

Blogger PunditMom said...

Happy Anniversary, you lucky woman, you!

Blogger painted maypole said...

Happy Anniversary! Sounds like a "match made in heaven," as corny as that is.

Blogger flutter said...

This is beautiful and wonderful and really just....you. Happy Anniversary

Blogger Julie Pippert said...

Happy Anniversary!

And...you! Aww big mush pot sitting over here after that lovely tribute. Very sweet story.

I'm sure he's amazingly great, but not better than you. I think you're great too. You can't possibly snow so many people so it must be true. :)

Blogger DD said...

Happy Anniversary!

Do you two have a tradition or something special you like to do on your anniversary? And what did you gift to each other?

(keep your answer family-friendly, please)

Blogger Heather Hartwig said...

I met my T when I was very young as well. We've only been married 10 years though, so you've got us beat by a few years!

Happy Anniversary!

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i'm sooo happy that you have that kind of love...and i'm also happy i didn't completely ruin your ceremony by fainting..... :) all my love....Christi

Happy 12th Anniversary! That was beautiful...I love that last picture.

Blogger Lawyer Mama said...

DD - Ooh, questions! I love questions! (And thank you for letting the anti-Husker comment slide. I know that's a crime against humanity in NE.) G rated version - We actually hardly ever exchange gifts for our anniversary. We usually (pre-baby) took a vacation. For the first 4 years (the poor years) we went back to the same bed & breakfast in Kansas City & that's as close to tradition as we've come. We tried to go out to dinner last night, but our sitter(s) were all unavailable. Damn. it.

Christi! - SQUEAL! I always get insanely excited when people who know me for "real" comment on my blog! There's back story here folks. I've known Christi since I was 9 or 10. She was one of my bridesmaids and 3 months preggo at the time. The poor thing had to sit down during the ceremony to avoid passing out. It was really friggin hot if I remember correctly.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Anniversary!

Victor and I met when we were 21, and married the next year. July 4th was our 11 year anniversary.

Must've been a good week for weddings, huh?

Blogger emptynester said...

Many marry young, some marry too young....but one thing you and I have in common is that we were young and got lucky and married the person we were supposed to be with.

Happy Anniversary!

Blogger Ally said...

Aw, this is nice. And I love the pictures. It looks like you had a very funny wedding.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awwww, so sweet. Sounds like a great man. Happy anniversary. I love that b/w photo. Beautiful.

We also got together young. Our first date was Nov. 3, 1993 - I was 18!!! And I think we had a similar first date :-) Hey, it works out sometimes!

Blogger Bon said...

oh, tears. that was lovely.

i too am not a believer in "the one," and yet...illogically, have mine too. i know when i am known in a way that is irreplaceable...perhaps that is all it is? it's precious, whatever it is.

and the photo of the man and baby boy? beautiful.

Blogger Brillig said...

Congratulations on 12 years! I loved reading this story. I was 22 and my hubby was 25 when we got married too. At the time, I felt perfectly old enough, but looking back I think, "I was a BABY!!!!" Still, like yours, it was the best decision I could have ever possibly made. Congrats!

Blogger Amy W said...

Congrats as well! Your wedding looks alot like mine...

Blogger GHD said...

Congratulations and Happy Anniversary.

That was very lovely story! I have similar "don't know why he loves me, but he do" story. That's what true love is all about.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That was a lovely post. I don't write about my husband because I need him as an editor, but if I did, I would have written so much of what you wrote (perhaps not as well). I don't get why he loves me, but boy am I glad he does. He married the world's biggest PITA, and I am thrilled. Your post made me go downstairs and give him one more kiss goodnight.

What a beautiful bride.
Happy Anniversary.

Blogger Rebecca said...

Happy anniversary! I LOVE that photo of you immediately post caesarean - they wouldn't let us take a comera into surgery like that...not Fair, I say!!!

Blogger OhTheJoys said...

What a lovely tribute! Happy Anniversary!

Blogger M.H. said...

Congratulations! My hubs and I met and married young too (he was 21, I was 25 when we married). We are approaching our 4th anniversary next month. I look forward to reaching our 12th with this much good stuff still going on :)

Blogger N. said...

Cheers, to Lawyer Mama and Papa. Happy Anniversary.

Blogger Gunfighter said...

Happy Anniversay, LM!

Sorry I'm so late, my friend.

Gf

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Belated Anniversary! Love the pictures.

Hope you have a lovely trip!

Post a Comment

<< Home

Lawyer Mama
Made by Andrea Micheloni
footer