Locations of 

visitors to this page






Main Page
2/19/2008
Eureka!
Oh friends of the internet, I'll be leaving you for 5 days again soon. I'm taking Holden to visit my cousins, Defiant Muse and her daughter Monkey, in Eureka, California from Thursday to Tuesday.

I've never flown more than half way across the country with Little H before and that didn't go so well. I'm bringing the trusty Benadryl, the portable DVD player, puzzles, two small aquadoodles, and a boat load of books that are two damn heavy for me to be carting through an airport. Hopefully we will survive without too many meltdowns.

Pray for me.

(You know I'm joking, right?)

While I procrastinate working on Julie's Hump Day Hmmm for the week and a post I should be writing for MOMocrats about health care, I thought I'd share some photos I just took.

Yesterday, I took Hollis to a park on the water near us in late afternoon, just before sunset. The lighting was perfect. The kid? Not so much. I only got a few photos of his face out of him by letting him cart my tripod around and take about 50 fuzzy shots of me all by himself. Using the tripod, of course.

We were out there for about 2 hours and I probably took 250 shots. In 75% of those, Hollis is intentionally running away, facing away, trying to "shoot" me with my tripod, or just fuzzy. (Operator error. I was shooting in manual with no autofocus. No auto anything, actually.) But I still have more to show you after this. Perhaps when I get back from California and have some more editing time....


Hollis Gazes
Gazing into the distance.

He looks so serene, but he's actually just finished screaming pouting because I wouldn't let him climb on the rocks of death by the water.


Fear the Tripod
Love the face here.



Yes, it's a big fish.

I took this one as an assignment for my photography class. We were supposed to take photos of a statue and make them "interesting." Trust me to mock the exercise. Hey, at least I didn't bring a fishing rod for Hollis. I thought about it.



Photo by Hollis.

Please excuse the hair. It was windy. Oh and I was feeling a bit off focus. (I crack myself up.)


Another photo by Hollis.

He also got a lovely shot of my hand on my butt while I was trying to get up and rescue my camera. I think it was actually in focus too. I deleted it. Can't have anyone running across that!



I took the camera away, but he kept pretending.



Future Photographer? Or future stunt man?p

Future photographer? Or future Hollywood stunt man?


Hollis may have been uncooperative, but I got this when we were leaving....

Moon Silhouette

Labels: , , , ,



13 Comments:

Blogger Nancy said...

Have a wonderful visit in Cali.

The fuzzy shot of you? I have days looking all fuzzy too =)

The last photo of Hollis ... breath taking & beautiful.

Blogger KC said...

What a final shot! Photography class? So jealous.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

So your boy is all about the boob, huh. Does he take after his father?

Good luck with the flight. I always threaten to bring ear plugs -- for the unfortunate suckers seated around us.

Blogger Violet said...

we all have fuzzy days don't we?

that last shot is just gorgeous!!

Blogger Girlplustwo said...

oh, sigh. whatever. HAVE FUN.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would feel sorry for you if I weren't just now trying to figure out how the hell we are going to survive an eleven hour flight with the two boys next month. Want to meet us at the airport?!

Blogger joker the lurcher said...

i can only be photographed out of focus...

Blogger Julie Pippert said...

Oh the last two shots...gorgeous!!

And more travel. May the journey be easy and the trip fun.

You know, I've often said I want to document myself a bit before the last of my youth leaves me. I had not included "arm pit" on the list, but I see why I should!

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those are some great shots! On the last one, did you play with it in PhotoShop or was the sky really like that?!?!?!

Blogger Lawyer Mama said...

Julie - I hadn't thought of it that way. I can honestly say this is the only photo I have focusing on the pit area. LOL!

Wright - Photoshop - I shot in RAW, so I had to do some contrast work in Photoshop since I didn't let the camera do it for me, but all I really did to the color was saturate the orange a bit. This is pretty darn close to what we actually saw as the sun was going down, including the moon up above. I have another shot posed exactly like this taken 2 seconds before it that wasn't nearly as good. Oh, the horizon was crooked, so I also fixed that.

If you click on the picture, it will take you to my Flickr account and I think the other sunset shot is in the album unedited.

Blogger kristen said...

beautiful photos here. i'm trying to get into a photography class, i'm on the wait list and it's torturing me.

safe travels to cali - be careful of benadryl. i tried dosing my kid on one trip to cali and instead of knocking her out, she was like corn-holio on caffeine, up and down the aisles, feh.

Blogger Lawyer Mama said...

Ah, yes. We did a Benadryl dry run this Summer.

Of course, now you know I'm going to be giggling over Beevis & Butthead for the whole plane ride.

Blogger Gwen said...

We had the same Benadryl experience as Kristen but since you say you've dry run it, I'll refrain from further warnings.

Have a great trip! Looking forward to more lovely photos on your return.

Post a Comment

<< Home

Lawyer Mama
Made by Andrea Micheloni
footer