Locations of 

visitors to this page






Main Page
11/11/2007
Post-Election Revelry
I'm thrilled that elections are over for this year. First, the Democrats took control of Virginia's Senate. Wooooooo Hoooooooo! But more importantly, those annoying political ads have stopped.

For now.

I'm fully aware that next year's crop will be even worse and will last longer given the upcoming presidential primaries and election. I cannot stand political ads. It's not just because I've already picked my candidate. No, the negative campaigning just makes me want to shriek in agony and throw things at the TV. And then rip up my voter card, burn it, and stomp on the ashes for good measure.

I can't be the only one annoyed and, yes at times, infuriated by these commercials. They're all pretty much a carbon copy of one another:
{Cue ominous music}

Jane Smith voted to raise taxes on Virginia's working families 5,345 times while accepting campaign donations from evil pharmaceutical companies/oil companies/Chinese lead factories.

{Insert unflattering, grainy photo of Jane Smith with mouth pursed or wide open while she appears to be drop kicking an infant or stealing a lollipop from a toddler.}

{Music perks up}

{Insert clip of John Doe with Stepford family and
then shaking the hands of working folk.}

John Doe understands the needs of Virginia families. He walks on water and is the second coming of Christ. He'll drop down to his knees and pleasure each of you individually if you vote for him. He'll even enjoy it if you'll also give him money.

{Cheesy, smiling photo of John Doe with waving flag in
background.}

John Doe, working "hard" for Virginia families.

"I'm John Doe and I approved this message."

(Those annoying automated phone calls are also frustrating to me. I hang up, but they just keep calling!)

If you actually go do your research, you discover that Jane Smith has never actually voted to increase taxes, but has voted for bills that indirectly increase fees or has voted in committee for bills that *might* potentially raise taxes 85 years from now.

Why do politicians do this? These commercials insult our intelligence and lower the discourse of political debate. I know, I know. Negative campaigning works. But I don't have to like it. In fact, I'm going to keep bitching until a nice guy or girl finally wins.

Labels: , ,



9 Comments:

Blogger Girlplustwo said...

because some people buy it. enough, perhaps, that the dumbing down is sufficient.

Blogger PunditMom said...

Why do they do it? Remember the old question about 'why do dogs lick themselves?' Same answer, at least until someone actually spends the time to call them on the lies contained in the ads.

Blogger Julie Pippert said...

Spitting out LMAO ROFLOL

That picture is freaking hilarious! And "walks on water and is second coming of Christ." You are slaying me.

And PUNDIT MOM! Why does a dog lick himself.

As for your point (laughter comes to abrupt halt). Not funny at all.

Why do they do? Well, look. It works. Usually unfortunately. And otherwise? Fails. Usually unfortunately.

Julie
Using My Words

Blogger Sarcasta-Mom said...

It's the bitchy wheel that gets the grease right? Or something like that? Keep on speaking out, and someday it will make a difference. In the meantime, it's always fun to listen to you kvetch. :)

Just finished your meme. It was fun, even if I did have to get off my but and take photos. lol.

Blogger Bea said...

I wonder if the political wisdom on negative advertising is different in Canada? There was a pivotal election in the early '90s in which a major political party completely tanked based on an ill-conceived TV commercial that appeared to be poking fun at Jean Chretien's lopsided mouth (a side-effect of his childhood deafness in one ear). I get the sense that that election still functions as a cautionary tale in this country.

Your send-up of those ads is hilarious - I can just hear the voice-over now.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Having watched the West Wing I have an unrealistic expectation about the highmindedness of presidential campaigns. I would love for Arnie Vinick or Matt Santos to win - alas I'm stuck with a much less pristine reality.

Don't you dare rip up that voter card. Give it to me if you must.

Blogger S said...

OH THE AUTOMATED PHONE CALLS!

(they drive me batty.)

Blogger ExPatSW said...

There are some things I truly don't miss about the States!

Blogger Christine said...

those commercials and phone calls suck!

you should have seen the horribly offensive crap we got in the mail up here in new york!

Post a Comment

<< Home

Lawyer Mama
Made by Andrea Micheloni
footer