Locations of 

visitors to this page






Main Page
2/27/2008
Whirlwind California Trip
We're back. I'm sure it will be a few days before I get back into the swing of things. We got in at 2am last night and I just got my bags a few hours ago. (I'll save that for a post after my blood pressure returns to normal.)

The trip to visit Defiant Muse and her Monkey was incredibly fun, exhausting, and amazing. Northern California feels like a good novel does to me. There's an eye catching cover, lots of drama and beautiful imagery, characters you love, and a story you never want to end. I could spend hours on the coast line just day dreaming or writing.

Yes, DM and I did do some rabble rousing. You can read about that over on DM's site because, frankly, I don't remember much. I have some faded impressions of dancing, lights, asking lots of inappropriate questions, and posing on a mattress. Oy. Let's just say it's a damn good thing the tattoo parlors in DM's town are closed at 1am. Otherwise, I'd have the cliche of all tattooed cliches on my ass.

But the best part of the trip was having a chance to connect with my cousin. DM and I haven't spent much time together as adults without a crowd of a thousand around. Our family is loud, obnoxious, drunk, and overwhelming. It's hard to have a serious conversation about anything around them.

On the surface, DM and I have always been very different. I followed the good girl path to adulthood. She followed the road less traveled and found herself through a more literal journey. Underneath, however, I think we've both known how similar we are. It's not just genetics that binds us, but politics, personality, a quest for beauty and truth, and a desperate need to make a difference in the world.

The eight years between us no longer mean much. Particularly since we've both come to realize that all people are more similar than different. In becoming a mother, and in sharing that experience, it becomes obvious. The human experience repeats itself over and over, generation after generation, passing down to us the best and worst of human nature. It makes it difficult to understand how human beings can treat each other so badly. (Now I'd better get myself back on track before I start ranting about war, murder, and all the other atrocities of the world.)

This was also the first chance I've had to meet Monkey. She's a gorgeous, obsidian eyed beauty, with a romantically flowing name, her father's hair, her mother's mouth, and her grandfather's ears. She made me work for her smiles, like any serious girl should, but those upturned lips, tiny dimple, and sparkling eyes were certainly worth the effort. Monkey is a perfect combination of darkness and light. Watching her over the last week, as her eyes followed my every move and she wobbled cautiously across the room, I saw my cousin as a baby once more.

DM and her Monkey will be coming to visit us this Summer and we can't wait. We can't offer a dramatic coastline, just a boring old flat beach, but we do have some kick ass crabs and there's always beer in the fridge. After looking at all the photos, Big H is incredibly excited to meet his new cousin and Little H keeps asking me where Monkey is.

It won't be long boys.




DM also has some pictures up on her site. I took waaaay too many pictures and DM took some with my camera too, so who in the heck knows when I'll even look at all of mine. I'm sure I'll be annoying you with California pictures for weeks. Be prepared.

Labels: , , ,



12 Comments:

Blogger S said...

Glad you had a good time, LM. And that first picture, of the road and the trees? I loved it.

Blogger kristen said...

what a delicious post. i especially like your hot dance moves - little did i know you had all this fun in you! glad you made it home, sorry about your luggage. don't tell me, you flew united.

Blogger Kyla said...

Fun, fun!! And DM's post had me cracking up!

Blogger Defiantmuse said...

ahh, now *you're* the bitch. You made me cry! :)

"Watching her over the last week, as her eyes followed my every move and she wobbled cautiously across the room, I saw my cousin as a baby once more." - omg, I got all choked up on that one.

I had soooo much fun and I'm really stoked on coming to see y'all this summer. Beer and crabs sound good to me. And lots of playful banter with your Republican husband. How nice will it be to have some back-up?? (though I have no doubt you can hold your own).

btw, love that you used "My White Trash Family" as one of your labels. LOL.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are lucky to have one another.

Blogger Pendullum said...

Look how great you are together...
What a gift you gals/cousins have in each other!

Blogger Gwen said...

I was just wondering when you'd return! Glad you had fun and that you got blessed with such a kick-ass cousin.

Blogger Debbie said...

*sniffle*

that's a beautiful tribute, babe.

also, double-sniffle because I'm JUST missing you in NoCal. rats.

glad you had such a wonderful time with yr cuzzy. :)

xoxoxo

Blogger Nancy said...

Welcome back.

You look relaxed in that last photo. Nice picture of both of you =)

Blogger ewe are here said...

Sounds like you had a brilliant time in NorCal (I grew up there, btw :-) ). And it's always nice to reconnect with family. And doubly nice for your kids to get cousins through the connection.

Glad you made it home safely.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Isn't it great when you realize that relatives are people. People that you like! How did that happen, I'm often left to wonder.

(Psst...what's with comment moderation? Did you figure out that I was the Ralph Nader commenter up yonder way? I know. I'm so very sneaky. Devious, even.)

MAN! Dance moves.....AND inapropriate questions....sound like a recipe for fun!


Glad you had a good time!

Post a Comment

<< Home

Lawyer Mama
Made by Andrea Micheloni
footer