Locations of 

visitors to this page






Main Page
11/21/2007
Soundtrack of My Life
Julie's Hump Day Hmmm topic for this week is music. Egads! This is really a hard one for me. I love music. In fact, I hear music in my head almost constantly. (Not in an "I really need some anti-psychotics" kind of way, I swear!) But music is part of my inner monologue. You know, the stuff I don't let people know about?

My dad is a huge music lover and he passed his music down to my brother and me when we were small. I remember my dad sitting my brother and me down when I was maybe 6 and my brother was 2 or 3. He had us listen to In-a-gadda-da-vida by Iron Butterfly, paying careful attention to the drum solo. Yeah, the song is 20 minutes long. Seriously. Now, I find it a little amusing to know that my dad thought it so important to play us a song where the name came about because the band was too drunk and/or high to actually get the words "in the garden of Eden" out coherently. But that's just the way my family rolls.

When I was 8 years old, I desperately wanted a Blondie album from Santa Clause. (Let's not talk about what a geek I was. I believed in Santa until I was 9, being the oldest child and all that.) I was a little upset that Santa brought me Puff the Magic Dragon and the Sesame Street Disco Fever album. (Both of which, in hindsight, were pretty damn cool for an 8 year old and I secretly listened to them for years.) But my dad knew I was upset, so he gave me my first cassette tape. It was AC/DC's Back in Black. My dad was the coolest dad evah. Seriously, half of the concerts I've ever been to were with my dad. He rocks.

Music is deeply personal to me, but I don't often share it. I'm a car listener. I can't work while listening to music and we don't even have a stereo system in our home. But in the car, I sing at the top of my lungs and dance around. My kids love it. My husband thinks it's hilarious, particularly since I can't carry a tune. But no one else really ever sees that part of me.

In the car though... well, I'm more me. I'm me and everyone I've ever been in the past. I hear a certain song on the radio and am instantly 7 years old, riding in the car with my dad with the stereo cranked. I'm 11 years old and playing softball in the backyard. I'm 14 and I've just had my first real kiss. I'm 20 and my heart has been stomped and mangled for the first time. I'm 22 and I've just married the love of my life. I'm 32 and I'm driving my newborn around to get him to sleep.

I pull my car to a stop, turn off the ignition and open the door. The music ends and I'm 35 again.

Music is still very important to me and H&H show every sign of following in Mommy's footsteps. Hell, Hollis already has his own ipod with a more extensive play list than I have in my Treo. The Backyardigans feature very prominently, but his favorites also include "One Little Slip" by the Bare Naked Ladies, "Kaboom" by Ursula 1000, "Fly Away" by Tim McGraw, and "Blister in the Sun" by the Violent Femmes.

I've never done any of the music memes that have floated around BlogLand for the simple reason that it would be insanely long. I listen to anything and everything, although I'm not all that fond of country music. But even then, I make exceptions for songs I really like. So, I've created a soundtrack for each of my decades on planet Earth. These aren't necessarily my favorites from each decade, nor are they necessarily from the decade where I've listed them. But these songs would all be on the soundtrack of my life if it became Lawyer Mama, The Movie. (And why does that last line make me think of Spaceballs, The Toilet Paper?)

To start it off, I have some background music for you and it's one of my all time favorites. The apple doesn't fall far from the tree.




The Seventies:
  • Styx: Come Sail Away and Paradise Theater
  • Harry Chapin: Cat's in the Cradle
  • The Doors: People Are Strange
  • Don McLean: American Pie
  • Queen: Bohemian Rhapsody
  • Abba: Dancing Queen
  • John Lennon: Imagine
  • Carly Simon: You're So Vain
  • Jefferson Airplane: White Rabbit
  • Van Morrison: Brown Eyed Girl
  • Pink Floyd: Comfortably Numb

Damn! There are a lot of songs about drugs in there. Maybe I shouldn't feel so bad that my 3 year old can sing the lyrics to Blister In The Sun.

The Eighties:
  • Bryan Adams: Summer of '69
  • John Cougar Mellencamp: Paper in Fire
  • Violent Femmes: Blister in the Sun
  • The Smiths: How Soon is Now, Stop Me, Frankly Mr. Shankly (OK, pretty much anything by The Smiths)
  • Erasure: Who Needs Love Like That (I'd like to clarify - I started listening to Erasure in the 80's, long before they became a hit in the U.S. with Ship of Fools)
  • Psychedlic Furs: Pretty in Pink
  • Beastie Boys: Pretty much anything. (Yeah, I know.)
  • The Clash: Should I Stay or Should I Go
  • INXS: Mediate
  • Peter Gabriel: In Your Eyes

I'm just going to stop now, because I could keep doing the 80's for a few hours.

The Nineties:
  • Wil Smith: Wild, Wild West (C'mon, I went to B_______ West High School and graduated in 1990. It was obligatory.)
  • Garth Brooks: Friend in Low Places
  • Tori Amos: Crucify, Silent All These Years, Winter (OK. Anything by Tori Amos. Still love her.)
  • Eric Clapton: Wonderful Tonight
  • Tracy Byrd: Keeper of the Stars (My first dance with my husband as a married woman.)
  • Dave Matthews Band: Crash
  • Barenaked Ladies: The Old Apartment, Alcohol, Who Needs Sleep? (The law school years. Go figure.)
  • Meredith Brooks: Bitch (My personal theme song.)
  • R.E.M.: Losing My Religion
  • Indigo Girls: Shame on You, Closer I am to Fine


The Next Eight Years:
  • Black Eyed Peas: Pump It
  • KT Tunstall: Suddenly I see
  • Fiona Apple: Paper Bag
  • Eminem: Yellow Brick Road, Lose Yourself
  • Five For Fighting: 100 Years, The Riddle (Yes, I know these are schmaltzy but I'm all hormonal since giving birth.)
  • Eric Clapton: Tears in Heaven (Now that I'm a mother I cannot listen to this song without crying.)
  • Scissor Sisters: I Don't Feel Like Dancing
  • Anna Nalick: Breathe
  • Badly Drawn Boy: The Shining

This post has taken me down memory lane. I think I downloaded about 50 songs while I was writing it.

Now I'm off to go listen to my life.

*************
Welcome to Day 4 of my campaign to get Wil Wheaton to comment. Now, even Jenny said that I must be patient.

I can understand why you commented for Jenny, Wil. She's funny, she's smart, yadda yadda yadda. I've met Jenny, she's also HAWT! But me? I may not be hot, but I am persistent.

Labels: , ,



7 Comments:

Blogger Julie Pippert said...

Dude. You are so my twin.

Also an in the car singer. Also cannot carry a tune (although my ear is pitch perfect...what's up with that?).

Did I list Queen? LOVE Queen.

And Badly Drawn Boy! WOOT WOOT!!!

I am so impressed H listens to the Violent Femmes. You know my Violent Femmes in the Catholic Church incident? Oh, well, it was so two weeks ago.

The Ps are big Beatles fans. I will ALWAYS hear Blackbirds and think of them.

Do you know...The Impression that I Get by the Mighty, Mighty Bosstones is one of my favorite and influential songs, but I did not even mention it.

You are right. This is why I don't do book or music memes. I could not shut up.

LOL at your personal theme song, your dad playing the WHOLE of in-a-gadda-da-vida (it was my uncle for me), and your movie title makes you think of that movie because you are funny. Don't ever change.

Shutting self up now. Putting a sock in Chatty Van Verbose. ;)

Awesome post.

Julie
Using My Words

Blogger ExPatSW said...

Couldn't even begin to make a list! But, it would start in the 40s (even though I wasn't alive then I love so much of the music from that decade!).

Carly Simon's You're So Vain: Uncle J's first wife swore that Carly Simon had written that song about J. I can't hear it without thinking of him...and missing him!

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Keep workin' it. Wil had got to come around. (Still haven't figured out how to set up an account because I am a moron, but I am determined to so I can badger him on your account.)

And, I SO could listen to the music in your car. Great lists!

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I so want to be your friend IRL. Because I love all those songs - plus a healthy dose of frommage from Barry Manilow and Neil Diamond. Hey, they are so out they are in again, OKAY!

Good luck with your Wil Quest!

Blogger Gunfighter said...

The Violent Femmes, Queen, Abba, The Beastie Boys (Hey, feel no shame about that one), The Clash...

All favorites of mine.

Oh, and who says you aren't hot? I know better than that.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

When I saw the title of your blog, I had to stop by since my nickname is MamaEsq!

Great post!!

Here's one of my music posts:
http://www.jhsiess.com/2007/03/03/so-whats-the-deal-with-the-flute-anyway/

Great site. I will visit again.

Blogger Magpie said...

I love reading all of these music posts - the passion of the listener shines through, every time.

Thanks.

Post a Comment

<< Home

Lawyer Mama
Made by Andrea Micheloni
footer