Locations of 

visitors to this page






Main Page
9/30/2007
Hope: A Conversation With Elizabeth Edwards
I don't regularly discuss politics here on my personal blog. I'm not sure I can accurately articulate why that is. I guess Lawyer Mama has always been an outlet for what is going on inside of my head. My thoughts on politics and social policy usually aren't limited to the four squishy corners of my brain. I talk about them often, with friends, family and co-workers. But lately? My thoughts about the upcoming election and the direction of this country have been racing. So bear with me. I'm going to get all political on you, my dear readers, and it's going to probably happen pretty often until November 2008.

This weekend, the Silicon Valley, Chicago, and D.C. Metro Moms bloggers had an opportunity to speak with Elizabeth Edwards. The Silicon Valley moms met with her in person and some of the Chicago and D.C. Metro Moms bloggers participated by conference call, including yours truly. Joanne was the spokesperson for the D.C. Metro Moms on the call and she did a fabulous job. You all know what a big Elizabeth Edwards fan I am, so I was thrilled to have the chance to ask Ms. Edwards substantive policy questions. (If you'd like to see live blogging of the whole shebang, go here and here.)

I did, however, have a moment of sheer mortification. I was on the conference call on my cell phone parked at my laptop in the dining room. My husband has been transferring the contents of said laptop to an external hard drive for the last 3 days, so I was grounded, so to speak. I couldn't lock myself in the bedroom away from the chaos created by two small boys.

During the introductions, I accidentally un-muted my cell phone. Of course, H&H began screaming and running around on cue. I didn't realize that anyone could hear them until Elizabeth said "Whoever has the kids in the background, don't shut them up! I might have to bring my own in here too." Everyone laughed while I was staring at my cell phone in horror and frantically pushing the mute button! Of course, I got over my embarrassment immediately. This was a conference call with mothers. Elizabeth is a mother too. She and my fellow mom bloggers certainly weren't going to judge me for showing a bit of humanity.

Elizabeth (she asked us to call her that!) was, as always, articulate, funny, and a font of information. She answered our questions about health care, her role as first lady, and, most impressively, how John Edwards will make our world better and safer for our children. This was Amie's question and, man, it was a good one.

Elizabeth went on to talk about universal health care, college for everyone, and reestablishing our moral authority in the world. She was up front about change being a slow and difficult process. But she also told us that we need to be engaged to make it happen. "We don't get the change we want unless we're willing to work for it."

Elizabeth talked about not just making this a better America, but about creating a better world.

Creating a better world.

What I like most about Elizabeth and John Edwards is that they both have a touch of idealism in them. They don't talk like politicians. They haven't given up on making positive changes. In fact, they've both dedicated their lives to trying to make that happen and they have concrete plans to do it.

I voted for John Edwards in the last presidential primary. I'll be doing so again in early 2008 and, hopefully, in November 2008. I hope that when my children are older I'll be able to tell them about a phone call I had with our future First Lady and about how she gave me hope. Hope that this world and our United States can be better.

Of course, I'll have to tell Hollis and Holden about how our future First Lady commented on their hooligan noise and roughhousing. But I'm quite certain she did it with a smile.
Cross posted at D.C. Metro Moms Blog and MOMocrats.

***************
I'm also excited to tell you all that I've joined another blog, this one with a solely political purpose. It's called MOMocrats and it's a group of moms who are supporting John Edwards for president. You can read all about our bloggers here. I'm thrilled to have this opportunity and I hope you'll stop by often to hear what we have to say.

Labels: , , , ,



20 Comments:

Blogger flutter said...

How incredibly cool is this? She sounds lovely

Blogger PunditMom said...

:O I didn't realize about the kids! It was so noisy there anyway, I couldn't tell there was kid noise in there too!

Blogger N. said...

That is so cool. Okay, now I want John Edwards to win - but she needs to be his official running mate. BTW, anyone else getting a bit tired of the Obama hype? I'd just like a splash of substance with his style?
Great post!
Early congrats on your Perfect Post Award. I only read that post last week and it was great! Very deserving of a nod!

Blogger N. said...

PS - is it obnoxious to Americans when Canadians (and other foreigners) spout off opinions about your political process? Just wondering -- because really, there is no way I can shut up about this. It is just fascinating to me.

Blogger ewe are here said...

While she sounds lovely, I have to admit that this sentiment concerns me:

Elizabeth went on to talk about universal health care, college for everyone, and reestablishing our moral authority in the world.

I'm aboslutely for universal health care, hands down. But college isn't for everyone, it just isn't. What should be a priority is for those who want to go to college should be able to go and get help doing so; it shouldn't come down to ability to pay exhorbitant fees and tuitions, etc. And I also don't think the US has a right to be the moral authority for the world; it's that opinion that's gotten us into trouble lately, a great deal of trouble.

While I respect and admire the woman for her opinions, her support for her husband, and her open heart, I have to admit, her husband is not my preferred candidate.

Blogger ewe are here said...

Please don't ban me from your blog.

;-)

Blogger Lawyer Mama said...

Ewe - I'd never ban you. I love you too much! By college for everyone, the Edwards campaign means exactly what you said - the ability to go for those who want to.

AD - I actually LOVE hearing what others have to say about the US political process. It's nice to hear an objective opinion at times!

And I had no idea I had a PP award! Thanks! I must go look now....

Blogger Suz said...

I think it's really cool that you got to talk with her. In fact, the more I learn about how her and her husband are running their campaign, the more I like about it.

Blogger Jen said...

Seriously? This nearly makes me pass out with excitement!

Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL! That is so awesome that she said that about your kids. I would have been hiding under the chair! ;)

Blogger Mad said...

Ya, I gotta admit that the comment about reestablishing moral authority kinda scares me.

For the record, I like it when you talk politics. Or anything else really. Just keep talkin'.

Blogger Mad said...

Oh yes! That was a great post. You definitely deserve the PP for it.

Blogger Lawyer Mama said...

You know, I'd never thought about the "moral authority" comment in that way before. I guess, considering recent U.S. foreign policy, I can see how that would be a frightening comment. I don't really think that it's meant in the way you think though. Yeah, there are definitely people in this country who think we should be THE moral authority. (Scary though, I agree.) But for most of us, it just means walking the walk instead of just talking the talk. It means NOT pushing our values and policies on the rest of the world. It means watching out for the environment instead of opting out of treaties. It means following the rules instead of saying that we're better than the rest of the world. Does that make sense?

Blogger Debbie said...

OMIGOD S, tripping over myself to comment about how excited I am re: the momocrats blog.

thank you thank you thank you for a) participating in its creation, and b) for sharing it in this post. and

DUDE! you totally talked to the future first lady. (I hope.)

xoxoxo

Blogger Mad said...

Yup. Makes sense. Thanks for the clarification.

Blogger Magpie said...

Very cool. Thanks for sharing.

Blogger Christine said...

i am not entirely sure on my stance yet on the election, but i do know that EE is amazing and i really admire her.

Blogger Jodi said...

I lurrrrve John and Elizabeth! They are real people.

Blogger Amy W said...

My husband met John Edwards last night here in Raleigh...

Blogger Ruth Dynamite said...

This is so incredibly cool. Congrats to you and the others!

Post a Comment

<< Home

Lawyer Mama
Made by Andrea Micheloni
footer