Locations of 

visitors to this page






Main Page
10/10/2007
People Who Give A Damn
Last night T and I watched the movie Blood Diamond. Have you seen it? It highlights some of the worst of human nature and its results: power, greed, and violence. For the first three quarters of the movie, I was incredibly depressed thinking about the world my boys will inherit from us. But then one of the characters said something that gave me hope. He pointed out that if even the worst person can have one moment of kindness, it can give purpose to that life. And so I was reminded of the flip side of human nature: hope.

For every horrible thing we read about or hear about on the news, there is someone else out there doing some good, caring, or writing about a cause with passion. This month's list of Just Posts is a good reminder that there is hope in a world of chaos.

A few posts really struck a chord with me this month, and I nominated them for Just Posts. Take a moment to read these posts if you haven't yet. They're written by bloggers who care passionately about their children and the world they will inhabit. Their issues and passions transcend political parties. Whether motivated politically or socially, they all give me hope.

justpostsept2007

Jen for Door to Door and Chasing Tails
Pundit Mom (and Pundit Girl) for Iraq War Solution by Pundit Girl
David for Facebook Better Smarten Up Fast
The Dynamic Duo at the League of Maternal Justice for The League of Maternal Justice
Amie of DC Metro Moms and Mamma Loves for An Open Letter to the Political Candidates-From a Mom

Special thanks to the kind soul or souls who nominated my posts On Becoming A Lawyer and Facebook Sucks.

You can check out the full list of this month's nominees over at the sites of Jen, Mad, Susanne, and Hel.

Labels: ,



25 Comments:

Blogger Amie Adams said...

Oh thank you my friend! You have no idea how much that means to me.

Damn right I'm worried about the world we're leaving for our children. We mammas will make it better though. I just know it.

Blogger PunditMom said...

WOW! Thanks! PunditGirl will be thrilled (as am I!) ;)

Anonymous Anonymous said...

We watched Blood Diamonds last month and I felt similar to you. My husband, who lived through the bloody/violent civil war in Guatemala, was less shocked than I was. The movie made me want to rip my wedding ring off and flush it, except that any damage has already been done. It certainly makes you think twice about the chain of events leading up to many decisions we make, purchases, etc. I've been thinking about this a lot lately due to the Chinese toy recalls.

Blogger Julie Pippert said...

Great list and links!

Did you see the overall list of all posts at their sites today? WOWSA!

And I blew it and missed out by not getting my links sent in, again. I need a kick in the rear.

Julie
Using My Words

Blogger Sarcasta-Mom said...

Sometimeshope is all we have to hang on to. I know I'm trying really hard right now.....

Thanks for spreading some inspiration.

Blogger crazymumma said...

I know. Every time I feel the world is just this horrid place I look at teh small nameless things that many do.

It gives hope.

Blogger flutter said...

I know the world is better, since you're in it.

Blogger Girlplustwo said...

thank you, sister. the roundtable this month was so fantastic, such bright lights.

Blogger Jen said...

Yeah - I'm hopeful our children are the ones to make earth a better place.

And I keep missing Blood Diamond on HBO - I can't wait to see it! Of course, I have no idea of the origins of my own ring, and I know this is going to make me feel horrible...

Blogger Gwen said...

Blood Diamond--Poor Leo. Oh, right, that's not what the movie was about, was it?

I'm impressed with the volume of Just Posts this month, too. Good for you, being a part of that!

Blogger ExPatSW said...

There are lots of days when I feel such despair. Seeing the horrid things we humans do to others (and to ourselves) makes me question whether my feeble attempts to make a difference really do any good.

My manager and I had a conversation the other day about this and he said, "We can't save every child. No matter how good we are at our jobs, somewhere, sometime, a child will die. You have to count how many you save, not how many you lose, or you won't be able to keep going." He's right, as hard as that is for me to accept. But what keeps me going is the hope that in my twilight, the list of those saved far, far outweighs those lost. Hope IS one of the better four-letter-words!

Blogger S said...

Each month the list of Just Posts grows longer and longer...

That's got to be a good sign.

Blogger moosh in indy. said...

I'm glad everybody else is so wonderful to write the good stuff.
And it's even more wonderful that they get recognized by wonderful people like your sweet ass.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

My head is spinning from the round table list! Amazing! And hopeful, OH YES!

Blogger Mad said...

I haven't seen that movie yet. I sometimes cringe when Hollywood takes on the big issues but that film looked really good when it came out. I'll have to rent it.

And, as always, thanks for reading and writing about this stuff.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are so right - sometimes we get so consumed with the bad in the world that we forget about celebrating all the good. Great post. Off to check out your nominees.

Jane, Pinks & Blues

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm off to read these posts, and as always, loved yours! Although I've admittedly been having trouble getting myself to watch that movie.

I am off to check out the ones I have not read yet.....I already heart PM and Mamma!

Congrats on your post...YOU DESERVE IT! :)

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for linking to the post from Jen (Door to Door). I think you'd posted that link before and I'd only had a chance to read the first part and had lost the link. Posts like hers give me hope and inspire me to become a better person.

Blogger Cristina said...

Looks like some excellent reading. I love this award.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hope is good. we have to have something...

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is exactly the kind of stuff I needed today.

Thank you, my friend.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I couldn't get through that movie. And I'll never wear another diamond that isn't from Canada again...

Congrats on your post. And thanks for the links, I needed them!

Blogger Jen said...

Those are some great picks! My goal is to read all of the Just Posts this month.

Blogger Brillig said...

I never saw the movie, but I love what you said here, about hope. Awesome post, LM.

Post a Comment

<< Home

Lawyer Mama
Made by Andrea Micheloni
footer