Locations of 

visitors to this page






Main Page
8/30/2006
Can Part-Time Work, Well, Um...Work?
So I'm finally going to do it. I'm going to ask my law firm to let me work part time.

I've wanted to do this for two years and have kept justifying it away - we need the money; we're getting ready to move; I haven't been there long enough; it's not a full moon; etc.... What it really came down to was fear. Fear of having my colleagues look down on me as a "Mommy Track" lawyer. Fear of become dispensable and maybe losing my job. Fear of becoming a soccer mom. Who knows what it was, but I'm finally going to do it. Next week.

Or maybe in a couple of weeks.

Or next month?

Sigh.

Labels: ,



4 Comments:

Blogger rpfangirljr said...

{{{hugs}}} I know those thoughts, and I feel that you will do it when it feels right for you to do it.

Donna :)

Blogger Amy said...

I agree with Kristin...You seem to have such a level-head and I know you wouldn't make decisions lightly! They'll be lucky to have you even part-time!!

Blogger PunditMom said...

Good luck! This is a topic near and dear to my heart. I've written a couple of articles about it and I still can't figure out why it should be so hard fo good attorneys to make a case for part-time work. It's a tough nut, especially depending on the size of your firm (small v. mega). Keep us posted!

Blogger Pixie dust said...

hey, at the time you made that entry, i just resigned from a new job because of inflexible time demands on me (and my availability to the children.)

for the past months since, i have been scrounging around for paid work (i.e. editing etc.) i can do at home.

i haven't exactly practiced the graduate degree i finished, but our children are only children once.

so, just go for it and follow your heartbeat. =)

trust that everything will fall into place after you've made "that jump".


work is where your heart is... :)

Post a Comment

<< Home

Lawyer Mama
Made by Andrea Micheloni
footer